Shawn’s litigation practice include business and commercial litigation, including class action and employment defense, and shareholder litigation defense. Shawn also advising individuals and business on corporate governance, executive employment, and executive compensation. He regularly represents and counsels businesses and individuals on strategic, litigation, and risk management matters.
From 2007-2009, Shawn practiced in the San Francisco office of Latham & Watkins LLP, where he assisted with securities and antitrust defense for Fortune 100 companies. Prior to joining The Ottinger Firm, P.C., Shawn served as a senior litigation associate at Johnson & Weaver LLP, where he managed a diverse portfolio of business, bankruptcy, employment, intellectual property, and consumer and securities class action matters on behalf of individuals, business, pension funds, and Court-appointed bankruptcy trustees. Shawn also served for one year as the Tanzania Country Director for Asylum Access, where he opened and managed legal aid clinics for Congolese and Rwandan refugees in UN-operated camps along the Tanzania-DR Congo border.
- Participated in the successful defense of two nationwide employment law class actions alleging violations of state and federal labor laws.
- Participated in the successful prosecution of breach of fiduciary duty matters on behalf of Chapter 7 bankruptcy estate of former billion-dollar publicly traded company. Authored successful oppositions to motions to dismiss and participated in successful eight-figure settlement for client.
- Participated in successful prosecution of insider trading and professional malpractice matter on behalf of largest publicly traded hospital chain in the United States, securing the largest derivative settlement in Tennessee state history.
- Participated in the successful opposition to a motion for class certification in a nationwide antitrust class action against two propane tank operators.
- Participated in successful defeat of summary judgment in nationwide antitrust class action involving Yahoo! and Google.
- Presented successful oral argument at the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, securing reversal of Board of Immigration Appeals decision denying refugee status to Honduran human trafficking victim.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., 2007, magna cum laude
- Awards & Activities:- Boston University Law Review, G. Joseph Tauro Distinguished Scholar (highest honors first year),- Paul J. Liacos Distinguished Scholar (highest honors second year),- Edward F. Hennessey Distinguished Scholar (highest honors third year)
- Yale University, B.A., Political Science, 2003, magna cum laude
- Awards & Activities:- Yale University Rugby Club,- Pi Sigma Phi (national Political Science honor society)